02-19-2012, 12:00 AM
He observed the Urantia papers come into being and writes about it here in the end of his book:
MIND AT MISCHIEF
Tricks and Deceptions of the Subconscious
and How to Cope with Them
BY WILLIAM S. SADLER, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Formerly Professor at the Post-Graduate Medical School of Chicago; Senior Attending
Surgeon to Columbus Hospital; Director of the Chicago Institute of Research and
Diagnosis; Fellow of the American College of Surgeons; Fellow of the American
Medical Association; Member of the C hicago M edical Society, the Illinois
"I was brought in contact with it, in the
summer of 1911, and I have had it under my observation more or less ever since, having been
present at probably 250 of the night sessions, many of which have been attended by a
stenographer who made voluminous notes.
A thorough study of this case has convinced me that it is not one of ordinary trance.
While the sleep seems to be quite of a natural order, it is very profound, and so far we have
never been able to awaken the subject when in this state; but the body is never rigid, and the
heart action is never modified, tho respiration is sometimes markedly interfered with. This
man is utterly unconscious, wholly oblivious to what takes place, and, unless told about it
subsequently, never knows that he has been used as a sort of clearing house for the coming
and going of alleged extra-planetary personalities. In fact, he is more or less indifferent to the
whole proceeding, and shows a surprising lack of interest in these affairs as they occur from
time to time.
In no way are these night visitations like the séances associated with spiritualism. At no
time during the period of eighteen years’ observation has there been a communication from
any source that claimed to be the spirit of a deceased human being. The communications
which have been written, or which we have had the opportunity to hear spoken, are made
by a vast order of alleged beings who claim to come from other planets to visit this world, to
stop here as student visitors for study and observation when they are en route from one
universe to another or from one planet to another. These communications further arise in
alleged spiritual beings who purport to have been assigned to this planet for duties of various
sorts.
Eighteen years of study and careful investigation have failed to reveal the psychic origin
of these messages. I find myself at the present time just where I was when I started.
Psychoanalysis, hypnotism, intensive comparison, fail to show that the written or spoken
messages of this individual have origin in his own mind. Much of the material secured
through this subject is quite contrary to his habits of thought, to the way in which he has
been taught, and to his entire philosophy. In fact, of much that we have secured, we have
failed to find anything of its nature in existence. Its philosophic content is quite new, and we
are unable to find where very much of it has ever found human expression.
Much as I would like to report details of this case, I am not in a position to do so at
present. I can only say that I have found in these years of observation that all the information
imparted through this source has proved to be consistent within itself. While there is
considerable difference in the quality of the communications, this seems to be reasonably
explained by a difference in state of development and order of the personalities making the
communications. Its philosophy is consistent. It is essentially Christian and is, on the whole,
entirely harmonious with the known scientific facts and truths of this age. In fact, the case
is so unusual and extraordinary that it establishes itself immediately, as far as my experience
goes, in a class by itself, one which has thus far resisted all my efforts to prove it to be of
auto-psychic origin. Our investigations are being continued and, as I have intimated, I hope
some time in the near future to secure permission for the more complete reporting of the
phenomena connected with this interesting case."
MIND AT MISCHIEF
Tricks and Deceptions of the Subconscious
and How to Cope with Them
BY WILLIAM S. SADLER, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Formerly Professor at the Post-Graduate Medical School of Chicago; Senior Attending
Surgeon to Columbus Hospital; Director of the Chicago Institute of Research and
Diagnosis; Fellow of the American College of Surgeons; Fellow of the American
Medical Association; Member of the C hicago M edical Society, the Illinois
"I was brought in contact with it, in the
summer of 1911, and I have had it under my observation more or less ever since, having been
present at probably 250 of the night sessions, many of which have been attended by a
stenographer who made voluminous notes.
A thorough study of this case has convinced me that it is not one of ordinary trance.
While the sleep seems to be quite of a natural order, it is very profound, and so far we have
never been able to awaken the subject when in this state; but the body is never rigid, and the
heart action is never modified, tho respiration is sometimes markedly interfered with. This
man is utterly unconscious, wholly oblivious to what takes place, and, unless told about it
subsequently, never knows that he has been used as a sort of clearing house for the coming
and going of alleged extra-planetary personalities. In fact, he is more or less indifferent to the
whole proceeding, and shows a surprising lack of interest in these affairs as they occur from
time to time.
In no way are these night visitations like the séances associated with spiritualism. At no
time during the period of eighteen years’ observation has there been a communication from
any source that claimed to be the spirit of a deceased human being. The communications
which have been written, or which we have had the opportunity to hear spoken, are made
by a vast order of alleged beings who claim to come from other planets to visit this world, to
stop here as student visitors for study and observation when they are en route from one
universe to another or from one planet to another. These communications further arise in
alleged spiritual beings who purport to have been assigned to this planet for duties of various
sorts.
Eighteen years of study and careful investigation have failed to reveal the psychic origin
of these messages. I find myself at the present time just where I was when I started.
Psychoanalysis, hypnotism, intensive comparison, fail to show that the written or spoken
messages of this individual have origin in his own mind. Much of the material secured
through this subject is quite contrary to his habits of thought, to the way in which he has
been taught, and to his entire philosophy. In fact, of much that we have secured, we have
failed to find anything of its nature in existence. Its philosophic content is quite new, and we
are unable to find where very much of it has ever found human expression.
Much as I would like to report details of this case, I am not in a position to do so at
present. I can only say that I have found in these years of observation that all the information
imparted through this source has proved to be consistent within itself. While there is
considerable difference in the quality of the communications, this seems to be reasonably
explained by a difference in state of development and order of the personalities making the
communications. Its philosophy is consistent. It is essentially Christian and is, on the whole,
entirely harmonious with the known scientific facts and truths of this age. In fact, the case
is so unusual and extraordinary that it establishes itself immediately, as far as my experience
goes, in a class by itself, one which has thus far resisted all my efforts to prove it to be of
auto-psychic origin. Our investigations are being continued and, as I have intimated, I hope
some time in the near future to secure permission for the more complete reporting of the
phenomena connected with this interesting case."

