09-04-2014, 12:00 AM
lets see, I spend allot of time trying to make more effort with people. I have become aware that there seems to be a void of meaninglessness or disconnectedness which makes my experiences seem normal and unfulfilling, the theory that I follow and try to practice is that every moment could have within it some gem of poignancy or knowledge, like for example at my job there is a man who is currently showing me the ropes.
My first challenge is to try and not make everything about me which is hard because I want to be perceived as an intelligent hard-working person which is really not the whole truth, I can actually make peoples lives difficult when I work with them well I have in the past. Anyway I find that when I make allot of effort to be present and do my best with what ever is in front of me I become involved in a struggle and on my first day of my new job I left at the end of my shift having won a battle and gained some new knowledge. The knowledge I gained was what my new work colleague has to offer and my colleagues fears and insecurity's about himself.
If I had just been thinking about me I would never have noticed this new persons inner state. At the end of this battle I have found out that this person enjoys humour and is sharp witted and pretty hilarious which is the perfect basis for our new relationship as co workers. Starting a new job for me has always been awkward and frustrating where as at my new job I am focused on mostly encouraging my co worker to be funny in which he needs hardly any encouragement.
On one level this is just a normal situation but I believe being a warrior means taking normal situations and finding the deeper meaning ion them and being able to practically apply the Toltec teachings.
I think I have not really talked about being humble but I am not feeling very humble right now, if I can offer anything remotely profound to this thread it is something I may have learned a long time ago which is that people HATE it when you try to tell them that something is something they know it is not! being yourself is saying it how it is, very simple but has proven almost impossible to apply. I believe the way to judge this is exactly by how people treat you, if people look at you with a fake half hearted smile are they deceitful and two faced? or are they simply showing you that you are not worth an authentic response?
When people treat me well with kindness and laughter I know that I am on good form and perhaps in the kind laughing faces of others I can be Humble.
My first challenge is to try and not make everything about me which is hard because I want to be perceived as an intelligent hard-working person which is really not the whole truth, I can actually make peoples lives difficult when I work with them well I have in the past. Anyway I find that when I make allot of effort to be present and do my best with what ever is in front of me I become involved in a struggle and on my first day of my new job I left at the end of my shift having won a battle and gained some new knowledge. The knowledge I gained was what my new work colleague has to offer and my colleagues fears and insecurity's about himself.
If I had just been thinking about me I would never have noticed this new persons inner state. At the end of this battle I have found out that this person enjoys humour and is sharp witted and pretty hilarious which is the perfect basis for our new relationship as co workers. Starting a new job for me has always been awkward and frustrating where as at my new job I am focused on mostly encouraging my co worker to be funny in which he needs hardly any encouragement.
On one level this is just a normal situation but I believe being a warrior means taking normal situations and finding the deeper meaning ion them and being able to practically apply the Toltec teachings.
I think I have not really talked about being humble but I am not feeling very humble right now, if I can offer anything remotely profound to this thread it is something I may have learned a long time ago which is that people HATE it when you try to tell them that something is something they know it is not! being yourself is saying it how it is, very simple but has proven almost impossible to apply. I believe the way to judge this is exactly by how people treat you, if people look at you with a fake half hearted smile are they deceitful and two faced? or are they simply showing you that you are not worth an authentic response?
When people treat me well with kindness and laughter I know that I am on good form and perhaps in the kind laughing faces of others I can be Humble.

