06-21-2010, 12:00 AM
I have to admit, I don't understand and doubt I ever will.
Many years ago, when I encountered Zen, I made several excerpts which are still in the front of my notebook, now with edges worn and the paper yellowing. The first one follows, and to me, personally, rings true. I cannot add to it...I cannot go beyond it. Here it is:
There is nothing in the self, so do not seek falsely; what is attained by false seeking is not real attainment. You just have nothing in your mind and no mind in things; then you will be empty and spiritual, tranquil and sublime. Any talk of beginning or end would all be self-deception. The slightest entanglement of thought is the foundation of the three mires [hell, animality, hungry ghosthood]; a momentarily aroused feeling is a hindrance for ten thousand aeons. The name 'sage' and the label 'ordinary man' are merely empty sounds; exceptional form and mean appearance are both illusions. If you want to seek them, how can you avoid trouble? Even if you despise them, they still become a great source of anxiety. In the end there is no benefit.
Many years ago, when I encountered Zen, I made several excerpts which are still in the front of my notebook, now with edges worn and the paper yellowing. The first one follows, and to me, personally, rings true. I cannot add to it...I cannot go beyond it. Here it is:
There is nothing in the self, so do not seek falsely; what is attained by false seeking is not real attainment. You just have nothing in your mind and no mind in things; then you will be empty and spiritual, tranquil and sublime. Any talk of beginning or end would all be self-deception. The slightest entanglement of thought is the foundation of the three mires [hell, animality, hungry ghosthood]; a momentarily aroused feeling is a hindrance for ten thousand aeons. The name 'sage' and the label 'ordinary man' are merely empty sounds; exceptional form and mean appearance are both illusions. If you want to seek them, how can you avoid trouble? Even if you despise them, they still become a great source of anxiety. In the end there is no benefit.

