07-04-2010, 12:02 AM
The point re "mystery" v "faith" was that neither can be verified, just as the notion of God or the theory of reincarnation cannot be verified. In my opinion, about the best that can be had is to accept a belief that one likes for whatever reasons one chooses, whether that choice be agreement with ancients, impeccable logic, or just personal like.
In regard the notion of God relieving us of responsibility (again like the notion of flyers) I did mean personal responsibility, similar to Geraldine saying, "The Devil made me do it" - but more far reaching. That would imply we are the creators. In this I agree with those first few lines of the Dhammapada, which are rather mind boggling if taken at full face value.
We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
To echo that notion, I like these comments from Richard Bach's "Illusions":
It's OK if the world is destroyed. There are a thousand million other worlds for us to create and choose from. As long as people want planets, there will be planets to live on.
In regard the notion of God relieving us of responsibility (again like the notion of flyers) I did mean personal responsibility, similar to Geraldine saying, "The Devil made me do it" - but more far reaching. That would imply we are the creators. In this I agree with those first few lines of the Dhammapada, which are rather mind boggling if taken at full face value.
We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
To echo that notion, I like these comments from Richard Bach's "Illusions":
It's OK if the world is destroyed. There are a thousand million other worlds for us to create and choose from. As long as people want planets, there will be planets to live on.

