07-07-2010, 12:03 AM
So if it boils down to just delusions of self, how does self
remove the self from the proverbial black empty room- knowing it can not
be truely empty until self leaves?Ninth
How does anyone disabuse themselves (or anyone else) of a delusion?
If I told you I saw a unicorn run through my back yard the other day what would you think? You know there is no such thing as a unicorn.
But I seem very sincere and enthusiastic about my sighting, absolutely convinced I saw one. How would you get to the source of my delusion?
You
have to investigate and inquire.
If I am not mad then something led me to conclude and believe I saw a unicorn, what was it? That we can investigate without getting stuck on the issue of whether or not unicorns actually exist.
Now if I just assert unicorns exist that is a different matter. If I have never seen one, why would I believe such a thing? What led me to this belief? You
have to investigate and inquire.
So let's say that I believe there is a heaven and hell and that heaven is just this fantastic place that the religions rave about and that when I die I definitely wish to go there and not hell. However I also read in a book that the only way to this heaven is to believe in unicorns, because when a person dies, the only way to get to heaven is to ride in on a unicorn and that unicorns only come to the aid of people who believe in them, at the time of their death. Those who do not believe in unicorns end up getting dragged into hell by demons.
The issue of unicorns actually existing is a secondary matter now because I just want to go to heaven. So now there is an attachment to heavenly access. You might think talking about the actual existence of unicorns is the way to approach me but you would just be spinning your wheels. I don't give a fig about unicorns I just have a very strong fear and aversion of getting dragged into eternal torment by demons and a very strong desire for those 72 virgins.
See how the layers begin to build? We could go on and on. So there has to be some earnestness for truth.
This thread is called Emptiness and Objects. We have been investigating the phenomena of the appearance of objects, how they appear to be real, independent and having inherent existence. Buddhist view has been introduced because it effectively disabuses these notions. DJ was also very suspect of the appearance of objects and though he was not as thorough about it as Buddhism they seemed to agree about this. DJ called it the first truth of awareness. I thought that was a good place to start.
remove the self from the proverbial black empty room- knowing it can not
be truely empty until self leaves?Ninth
How does anyone disabuse themselves (or anyone else) of a delusion?
If I told you I saw a unicorn run through my back yard the other day what would you think? You know there is no such thing as a unicorn.
But I seem very sincere and enthusiastic about my sighting, absolutely convinced I saw one. How would you get to the source of my delusion?
You
have to investigate and inquire.
If I am not mad then something led me to conclude and believe I saw a unicorn, what was it? That we can investigate without getting stuck on the issue of whether or not unicorns actually exist.
Now if I just assert unicorns exist that is a different matter. If I have never seen one, why would I believe such a thing? What led me to this belief? You
have to investigate and inquire.
So let's say that I believe there is a heaven and hell and that heaven is just this fantastic place that the religions rave about and that when I die I definitely wish to go there and not hell. However I also read in a book that the only way to this heaven is to believe in unicorns, because when a person dies, the only way to get to heaven is to ride in on a unicorn and that unicorns only come to the aid of people who believe in them, at the time of their death. Those who do not believe in unicorns end up getting dragged into hell by demons.
The issue of unicorns actually existing is a secondary matter now because I just want to go to heaven. So now there is an attachment to heavenly access. You might think talking about the actual existence of unicorns is the way to approach me but you would just be spinning your wheels. I don't give a fig about unicorns I just have a very strong fear and aversion of getting dragged into eternal torment by demons and a very strong desire for those 72 virgins.
See how the layers begin to build? We could go on and on. So there has to be some earnestness for truth.
This thread is called Emptiness and Objects. We have been investigating the phenomena of the appearance of objects, how they appear to be real, independent and having inherent existence. Buddhist view has been introduced because it effectively disabuses these notions. DJ was also very suspect of the appearance of objects and though he was not as thorough about it as Buddhism they seemed to agree about this. DJ called it the first truth of awareness. I thought that was a good place to start.

