03-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Other war movies perhaps worth seeing:
- Saving Private Ryan (realistic battle scenes)
- Schindler's List (good movie)
- Battle of the Bulge (I saw it decades ago, but remember it as worth seeing)
- Patton (popular; George C. Scott, another excellent performance)
- Von Ryan's Express (a likable movie, well paced. A must see for Sinatra fans)
- The Bridge On The River Kwai (I saw it decades ago, on the big screen, but remember it as entertaining)
- The Guns Of Navarone (I saw it decades ago, on the big screen, but remember it as entertaining)
- Stalag 17 (is this the one where Steve MacQueen does some motorcycle stunts?)
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "war movie". But Daniel Day Lewis' Last Of The Mohicans involved pre-Revolutionay war in America (not yet "The United States").
I regard that as a superior movie. But be sure to get / see an unedited edition. The DVD I bought had some scenes removed.
I only have 3 movies on DVD. That's one of them.
The other two are: First Blood, and Paul Scofield's A Man For All Seasons, which isn't a war movie; but won 6 Academy Awards in 1966, including best picture.
For any that are interested in insight into character, personal integrity, and honor, I strongly recommend this movie.
No car-chase scenes. It's a loose recounting of history during the reign of Henry 8.
The main character (the "man for all seasons") played by Scofield was Sir Thomas More, author of Utopia.
- Saving Private Ryan (realistic battle scenes)
- Schindler's List (good movie)
- Battle of the Bulge (I saw it decades ago, but remember it as worth seeing)
- Patton (popular; George C. Scott, another excellent performance)
- Von Ryan's Express (a likable movie, well paced. A must see for Sinatra fans)
- The Bridge On The River Kwai (I saw it decades ago, on the big screen, but remember it as entertaining)
- The Guns Of Navarone (I saw it decades ago, on the big screen, but remember it as entertaining)
- Stalag 17 (is this the one where Steve MacQueen does some motorcycle stunts?)
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "war movie". But Daniel Day Lewis' Last Of The Mohicans involved pre-Revolutionay war in America (not yet "The United States").
I regard that as a superior movie. But be sure to get / see an unedited edition. The DVD I bought had some scenes removed.
I only have 3 movies on DVD. That's one of them.
The other two are: First Blood, and Paul Scofield's A Man For All Seasons, which isn't a war movie; but won 6 Academy Awards in 1966, including best picture.
For any that are interested in insight into character, personal integrity, and honor, I strongly recommend this movie.
No car-chase scenes. It's a loose recounting of history during the reign of Henry 8.
The main character (the "man for all seasons") played by Scofield was Sir Thomas More, author of Utopia.

